Thursday, September 20, 2012

Health, you are a fickle, difficult, unfair, companion.

That is how I feel about healthy living.
I'm not the hardest of core health nut out there, but I live a relatively healthy lifestyle. I avoid straight up junk food, I take vitamins, I do daily exercises at least 5 days out of the week. And then I might allow myself a dessert or candy bar or some other delicious treat to satisfy my stupidly loud sweet tooth, and suddenly, there's an extra inch of squish around my waist. Now before you kind, well intended readers start your placating "oh honey, you just had a baby", or, "sweetheart, you're a mother of two kids",  let me stop you. Thank you for your sympathy, but my baby is almost 9 months old, not a newborn, and I realize that childbearing does permanently alter a woman's physicality, but those are excuses for me and I refuse to use that crutch to hobble passively into obesity.
    Now friends, I'm not aiming to get skinny. I want to be healthy. Skinny-ness and sexiness are side affects to a healthy body. I will not be sad if I never fit comfortably and  muffin-top-lessly into size 2 skinny jeans, because I have never been there. But there was a time when I was so healthy I felt like I could, like, hike over mountains or box a kangaroo or something epic like that. I want to be healthy for my family. I want to be active with my family. I want my boys to look up to me along with their father as prime examples of fitness and health. I want my boys to remember watching their momma working out in the living room, just like I remember watching my mom working out in the living room. (Hehe, Jane Fonda work out videos. Good times.)
    SO, despite my frustrations with my stubborn waistline, I will persevere. I praise God for friends that are just as health-conscious, if not way more so, than me. I thank Him also for providing me with the perfect work-out buddy.
Downward-facing dog.
   I'm kidding. Here's looking at you, Courtney!

"I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
 Philippians 4:13

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read "I refuse to use that crutch to hobble passively into obesity". How do you come up with this stuff? Seriously, start working on your book, it will be a hit! And by the way, I'm confident when I say "You will never be obese".

    ReplyDelete