Monday, November 21, 2011

Hurray for Holidays!

Happily recovering Noah is talking joyfully to his red car. My tummy is full of delicious Life cereal and a quickly growing baby. Rain is pattering gently on our roof. This week is going to be a good week.
  Why?
It's Thanksgiving!
  Thanksgiving this year is going to be especially special. Yes, there will be the usual happy aspects of this feast of gratitude like seeing all the family, watching the Thanksgiving day parade, eating delicious food, and enjoying the heavy food coma that comes afterward, but that's not what makes this year especially special. This year, I get the feeling that this Thanksgiving is going to be more of a giving thanks for the life of my Grandmother, Maureen Killian.
    For the past almost five years, Grandma Killian has been battling cancers of various sorts and overcoming odds and wowing doctors all along the way. Therefore, for the past four or five years, we have been hearing "this will probably be Grandma's last Thanksgiving/Christmas/other important event with us." God and Grandma always seemed to have other plans, though.
   Now, it seems that God's plan is, indeed, to have Grandma home with Him soon. As I write this, I am calm and composed. I know and she knows that it is not death for a believer in Christ to die, but merely a transition into glorification. I know that I will see her again. Truth be told, a small part of me is a bit jealous that she gets to enter into glory and be freed from sin and suffering forever and the rest of us have to continue the daily battle of resisting sin and striving for Godliness. Yes, I am calm and composed for now, but I think it's because I'm not thinking about how much I'll miss her.
    Therefore, this Thanksgiving, I'm giving thanks to almighty God for blessing us with our matriarch for the time that she's been with us. My family will meet on Thursday and share food, laughs, prayer, support, and hopefully partake in a few good natured games. I sure do love my family. Thank You, God, for my family.

  And now, I have floors to clean and grocery shopping to do. (*gag!*)

No comments:

Post a Comment